A new Varian TrueBeam linear accelerator has been installed at Marshfield Medical Center-Weston. It’s the latest phase in a project that will bring state-of-the-art cancer technology to the facility.
A linear accelerator is a machine that delivers radiation treatments to patients with cancer. The Varian TrueBeam gives precise dosages quickly and is designed to treat cancer wherever it is in someone’s body.
Installation of the device by Varian engineers took about two weeks. Marshfield Clinic Health System teams then completed quality assurance testing, which took about a month.
This linear accelerator installation is the last in a line of replacements over the past several years across the Health System. According to Nikki Toldness, Cancer Care & Research service line administrative director, there are now Varian TrueBeam linear accelerators at seven centers:
- Marshfield Medical Center-Dickinson
- Marshfield Medical Center-Eau Claire Cancer Center
- Marshfield Medical Center
- Marshfield Medical Center-Minocqua
- Marshfield Medical Center-Rice Lake
- Marshfield Medical Center-River Region Stevens Point
- Marshfield Medical Center-Weston