Who doesn’t like a good meatball, whether it’s for the family or to serve at a party? This healthy mini meatball recipe will tickle the taste buds and satiate the appetite while eating healthy.
Start to finish: 75 minutes
Makes: 18 meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 slice bread, whole grain (for bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup fresh onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 cup unsweetened ketchup
- 1/2 cup fresh onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup Splenda no-calorie sweetener, granulated
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, low sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Heat oven to 350 F.
Mix together beef, egg, bread crumbs, milk, onion, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Form mixture into one-inch balls.
Place meatballs in a frying pan and cook over medium heat until browned.
Mix together ketchup, onion, sugar substitute, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Spoon sauce over meatballs.
Move pan to oven and bake 50-60 minutes.
Each serving contains 70 calories, 4 grams total fat, 6.5 grams protein, 3 grams carbohydrates and 60 mg sodium.
Source: Marshfield Clinic’s “Diabetes Advisor”[button-lime url=”https://shine365.marshfieldclinic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mini-Meatballs-Recipe-Download.pdf” target=”_blank” position=””]DOWNLOAD AND PRINT RECIPE[/button-lime]
Get more ideas with these 9 tips for heart-healthy holiday cooking.