During childbirth, your focus is on having a healthy and happy baby. To ease some stress during the experience, Dr. Melissa Emmerich, Marshfield Clinic Health System OB/GYN, recommends packing your hospital bag a month before the delivery date.
Here is a list of a few must-have items, along with some items parents often wish they had during hospital delivery.
- Rear-facing, infant size car seat properly installed.
- A coming home outfit appropriate for the season; winter should include a hat and mittens.
- A blanket appropriate for the season; a light blanket during the summer.
- A baby book or memento for a keepsake. Footprints and handprints can be added to those during your hospital stay.
- Relaxing music, a vocal point, card games or book to occupy your mind.
- Snacks like hard candy or gum.
- Lip moisturizer.
- Hair band or hair tie.
- A robe to cover up and be comfortable instead of your hospital gown.
- Comfortable clothes for going home.
- Large sanitary pads after using hospital pads.
- Breastfeeding moms need essentials such as nursing pillow, bra and clothing, and breast pump form, or bring your own pump.
- Insurance card and pharmacy card.
- Your Social Security information for baby’s birth certificate and Social Security card paperwork for baby.
- Maternity/paternity paperwork.
- Personal hygiene items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner and deodorant. Most hospitals supply some, but parents prefer their own.
- Ear plugs or headphones for sleeping during the hospital stay.
- Glasses and contacts supplies.
- Camera or phone with important numbers to contact.
- Journal/notebook and pen.
Download this list to check off before your hospital stay. If you have additional questions on what to pack for your delivery, talk to your provider.