Need to bring a snack to pass at your next party?
There are no rules that say a “dish to pass,” has to pass on being healthy, too.
Try bringing a nutritious dish with less calories, such as fresh fruit or a vegetable platter with a low-fat dip. And don’t forget that substituting yogurt for mayonnaise is a great low-fat alternative.
That way you’re guaranteed at least one “safe” item at the party.
Try this easy heart healthy snack mix you can throw together in a pinch.
Low-Cholesterol Snack Mix
- 5 cups dry cereal squares (rice, wheat, corn, oat/corn combination in any combination desired)
- 2 cups unsalted pretzel sticks
- 1/4 cup fat-free margarine
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery powder or flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts or unsalted nuts
- Preheat oven to 275 F.
- In a large bowl combine cereal and pretzel sticks.
- In a small saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Add remaining ingredients except nuts, stirring well. Stir into cereal mixture.
- Add nuts and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes.
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving: 89 calories; 2 g fat (2 g saturated); 2 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 121 mg sodium.[button-lime url=”https://shine365.marshfieldclinic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Snack-Mix-Recipe-Download.pdf” target=”_self” position=””]DOWNLOAD AND PRINT RECIPE[/button-lime]