Concession stands and the people who manage them are becoming friendlier toward health conscious individuals. Still, many concession stands could use a makeover.
Plan your treat ahead when heading to the game.
“Allow yourself a treat at the game,” said Chrisanne Urban, a registered dietitian at Marshfield Clinic. “Popcorn is a delicious snack, but it’s often prepared with heavy oils and high in sodium. It’s OK to indulge in your favorite snack, just find a friend to share with.”
Building a better concession stand
The Michigan Department of Community Health offers this five-step approach to building a better concession stand:
- Make a list of all the foods and beverages your concession stand now offers
- Aim for a 50/50 balance between healthy choices and other options
- Do you have fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low fat dairy?
- Price the healthy choices lower than the other options
- Market the new “made over” concession stand highlighting the healthy snack ideas. Brag a little!